Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Falconer

Aubrey is definitely a special child.
She's positively adorable, sweet, funny, love able, and LOUD.
At first I found this loudness problem to be a bit irritating.
I mean, I know we all love a very high and loud shrill to accompany our dinner,
but one can only take so much.
But as it turns out, I think her "skill" may turn out to work wonders for our self reliance.

We were at a friends house a couple of months back and our friend says,
"Wow - she sounds like a real life falconer!"
I have thought a lot about that comment over the last couple of months and thought to myself,
"I think he's right!  Let's test it!"
Lucky for me, I just happened to have a pile of mice guts
and a pair of bird handling gloves just lying around.
Who doesn't?
I took Aubrey out in the front yard, slipped on a glove, handed her some mice guts
(and of course told her not to eat them) and watched her waddle a few steps away.
She immediately lifted her left arm, belted out one of her annoying impressive shrieks
and wouldn't you know it...
a massive falcon swooped in for a landing, nibbled away on the mouse entrails
and then stopped to pose for a picture.
Which I thought was nice of him -
not just any one-year-old can manage to call in a carnivorous bird.
A mother must document such a milestone.

We'll never starve, I tell you.
Aubrey will call one in and we'll roast it up.
In the meantime, I hope all you mothers out there with your own falconer's
can handle the hours of "bird calling practice."
It just might pay off someday.

*Parts of this story may or may not be fictional.

5 comments:

Leanne said...

I am telling you, Aubrey and Emmett are MFEO! We should get them together so they could have a screech off...

Sarah said...

You are hilarious! Grant could definately join the falconers club!

Leslie said...

Love it! You totally got me! I was thinking, " Wow! For real?" And then I noticed the weirdness of the picture, if you know what I'm saying. But you really had me going for a while. I mean, really...who DOESN'T have falconer's gloves? And, yes, I know that GULLIBLE is written on the ceiling ...

Rayce & Candi said...

What a great post!! My Ivory has a screech like no other! You know the ones where you can physically hearing your ears rattle? Ya, those ones. In the car, in bed, at the table, in a quiet public place... you name it!

Janet said...

Her hair is totally awesome. I don't think Eve had that much hair until she was 4 :)