Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Future Engineer

I've mentioned before what a quiet and somewhat mischievous boy Bradley is.
The thing is, is that he really isn't mischievous for the sake of causing trouble as much as he is a curious little fellow and wants to discover things about the world on his own terms.
When he is curious about something, he quietly 
plays/experiments/watches/blows things up.
A trait that I do believe will come in handy later in life,
but one that can cause a few concerns for a busy mother.
Last Saturday we decided that we had to reclaim our garage.
It had been discombobulated for way too long.
I was going nuts.
So, we opened up the doors, 
pulled out all the junk 
and then did our best to get everything back in it's place.
The kids were in and out of the house, 
but mostly they were riding up and down the sidewalk on their bikes and scooters.
After about 2 hours of this I paused to count heads (for the 50th time).
1...2...3...
Uh, where's Bradley?
Do you have any idea how many times that question has been asked?
Yeesh.
So I walked into the house, and to my alarm smelled something cooking.
Not good.
I rounded the corner into the kitchen to see Bradley's little face beaming.
"Mom, check this out!  It's amazing!"
I cautiously came around the island to find him with the toaster.
Which he had gotten out of the cupboard and plugged in.
He carefully placed 2 pieces of bread.

 Pushed down the lever.
 And then popped it back up.
Sending that bread flying.
He was positively thrilled to discover the amazing abilities of our toaster.
My favorite part though was how he would then take the bread out and peer inside of the toaster.
Dying to know how such awesomeness was achieved.
I'm starting to think that I should be thankful I didn't come in to find my toaster completely dismantled.
I seem to remember a story about my grandfather doing just that.
I imagine it won't be long.
I just hope that he sticks to toasters and toys - 
and stays away from computers and minivans.

Only 2 slices of bread were burned to an absolute crisp in the making of this post.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love that Bradley! I could just see him so amazed by that process