Sunday, December 7, 2008

Why do these things have to happen at the quietest moments??

Last night Dave had to fill his YM leader duty and direct traffic for a Christmas concert at the church. This concert is a pretty big deal, so directing traffic requires flashlights, walkie-talkies, and the works. I tell you this by way of background for my horrifically embarrassing experience today. Here it is. We managed to make it on time for our 9:00 meetings, but just barely so we were sitting in the very back on the metal chairs which doesn't really bother me because my little people are loud and distracting. Well, just as we are sitting down Dave notices that there aren't enough deacons to pass the sacrament so he runs off leaving me with all 3 kids. Scary? Yes, but nothing I can't handle. Well, as they are passing the water Jack walks over to give me something and suddenly Dave's church bag starts "screaming" VERY LOUD white noise. Well, I am holding Bradley and trying to scramble to figure out A) what is making that horrific noise, and 2) how do I make it stop? Well, I find the source...those rotten walkie-talkies from the traffic ordeal. Dave brought them to church to return them but didn't happen to turn them off. Since they aren't mine, I don't know how to turn them off and every second I am in there feels like an eternity. So here's how it all went from there. Plan A was to quickly look for a power switch, but since there were 4 walkie-talkies in the bag, I wasn't sure which one/ones were making the noise and I certainly didn't want to turn on the ones that were actually turned off. So Plan B was to try and smother the sound with Bradley's blanket. No good. I then started to quickly formulate my plan of quickly getting all 3 kids and the dumb bag out the door without tripping over a kid or dropping Bradley. Thankfully the lady next to me held out her arms to take Bradley so I could run the "screaming" bag to the foyer. Once I get it out there I figure out which 2 were making all the noise and turn them off. I then look up for the first time and I kind of start into my nervous laugh. The people in the foyer found in quite amusing, as did a few people back in the chapel. I am waiting for them to open the chapel doors again when I realize that I just left my 2 and 4 year old in there unsupervised. (I think this is the only thing that gave me the guts to walk back in there.) Well, that could have been really bad and would have made this story 100 times better, but lucky for me, the kids did fine without me, including Bradley who was thrown into the arms of a stranger. It was pretty embarrassing, but I got a lot of laughs and a lot of people hunting me down to find out what in the world was in that bag. I think the red color is finally draining from my face and I hope that I have now had my "really embarrassing loud moment during sacrament" experience. Everyone only has to have one, right?

9 comments:

Angela said...

gotta love good memories! And think this is one you can share with so mnay people...thanks for the laugh

Stephanie Ryan said...

Kevin came home from church and told me this story....I laughed pretty hard!! All you can do is laugh at yourself right....even though at the time you wanted to crawl into a hole and never come out! Luckily our ward has a sense of humor and although you will probably never live it down, they, I'm positive, didn't mind that they now have an interesting and funny story to tell!!

Thoughts from a c-section Mama said...

Kira i miss you so much. reading your blog lets me know that i am not the only one that has moments like that. Sorry it happened, but that was really funny. I am hoping to see you on friday.
Kara

Johnson Family said...

oh that is so funny! I had a similar experience this last Sunday. Justin was getting up to bear his testimony, but saw someone else heading up before him so instead sits on the front empty row a few pews ahead of us to wait his turn. Kamden of course sees him and climbs under the pews (luckily the three in between were empty) to join Justin. Of course I couldn't stop him because I had Karson in my arms. So of course Karson see's that Kamden and Dad are a few rows up and wants to join the fun. When I don't let him he starts wailing. So of course I have to take him out. I figured Kamden would be okay with Justin and would sit in one of the chairs on the stand. Because I wanted to hear Justins testimony I head to the mothers lounge to listen. So Justin starts his testimony off and i can tell that he is a little distracted while he is talking. Then all the sudden I hear runnig footsteps and little fingers playing the organ. Yup, Kamden decided he wanted to play the organ for everyone, right in the middle of Justins testimony. I was so embaressed!

Sorry kinds of a long story but I thought that you would appreciate it!

J. Marie said...

oh my goodness HA HA HA That is so embarrassing but too funny.

Kellianne said...

Wow, Kira! I've had a few loud sacrament moments, but that one takes the cake!

Janet said...

I can just picture your red face :o) It sounded like you handled it pretty well and even helped some people stay awake during sacrament. Miss you guys!

Heidi Henderson said...

Oh, Life sure has it's fun moments doesn't it! You did well though, I would be laughing too after, but during... oh boy! It's like when cell phones go off,ect. You did well though. Thanks for the fun laugh!

Andrea said...

That is too funny! At least you were sitting in the back.
Thanks for all of those great websites! They are awesome and I'm excited to try some of the stuff with Jaci. She'll love it.