This thought occurred to me while I was standing in my front lawn surveying the flower bed. Which brings me to
April 22nd Confession.
It appears that I have not inherited the ever coveted "Green Thumb." I was sure this skill was in the bag since I come from a long line of would-be botanists. Actually, now that I think about it, I am going to have to talk to these relatives of mine for not letting me swim in the deep end of the gene pool. But I'll save those for future confessions. For now, I am just about ready to say that I basically kill any plant that inhabits a certain radius of my occupancy. Don't believe me?
That charming dead spot used to be these fabulous purple cuties just like the white ones to the left. But, for unexplainable reasons, it just croaked. I checked the sprinklers, and the sun seems to be fine because the others in the flower bed are doing fine...for now...so my only explanation and/or excuse is that there was a serious snail slumber party going on under there so they must have devoured the entire root system of my plant.
Now these little beauties seem to be just baking in the sun. The last few days have produced temperatures just shy of 100 degrees and these poor things have not fared well. (I would like you to notice the end of the hose in the picture - PROOF that I do actually water them)
I should also mention that my first attempt at a garden produced nothing but a shriveled little carrot.
I have requested that Dave explore his inner horticulturist to hopefully save us from the shame of me killing the plants.
Now, just in case you have almost convinced yourself that I am a complete failure, do try to remember that I have managed to grow 3 children. Thankfully, they are a lot sturdier than plants. I guess I will just have to stick to baby growing and leave the gardening to Dave.
P.S. Please don't tell my mother, or grandmother, or great-grandmother, or great-great-great grandmother that I am incapable of growing anything but babies, and that I am actually admitting it publicly. Oh the shame...
7 comments:
thank goodness its not the other way around!
I have a hard time making my yard and garden look nice. I feel verry self concience (SP?) when ever your grandma comes over. I know she would make my yard over loaded with beauty in one weekend.
that's all i can grow-babies! i gave up on that green stuff long ago!
I think if you had to choose between the abilities to grow you got the better of the two. My own confession...I kill everything also. I've actually thought of planting fake plants in my yard to save money on having to replace the stuff that I kill. The only plants I do ok with is my African Violet that has a self watering pot that I only have to remember to do anything with maybe once a month. :)
I am right there with you. My poor dad can grow anything and he is constantly bringing me plants that "you just can't kill." Much to his disappointment I have killed all but one plant, but it's only a matter of time. I am sure it's days are numbered. Don't feel bad some of us are just not meant to play in dirt.
I agree with Angela!! Of two, I am also happy that you succeed in the baby growing department!
I'm loving Jack's face in the picture.
Post a Comment