Sunday, October 11, 2009

This is not for the eyes of my friend Lindsey - the Dietician

I don't know about anyone else, but my kids don't like to eat anything.  Particularly Brooklyn.  I slave away making a fabulous dinner (or at least fabulous according to my standards) and the minute I set it on the table she says, "I don't like that."  Almost without fail.  We then go through the infamous dialogue...
Brooklyn:  "I don't like that."
Me:  You haven't even tried it yet.
Brooklyn:  But I don't like it.
Me:  At least try it
Brooklyn:  But I won't like it
Me:  You won't know until you taste it...

I think you are familiar with this routine as I would venture to say that all who are reading this have been on one end or the other of this conversation.
Well, as many desperate mothers do, I evaluated my list of options:
*  bribery
*  force
*  negotiation
*  threats
OR my favorite choice:
*  disguise

How do you make yucky chicken enchiladas look and taste irresistable?


SPRINKLES, of course



I mean, tell me you don't want to eat that!  ^
On second thought - don't tell me because don't you think I hear enough of that already?

Look at this girl - and let me give you a direct quote, "Mom, I LOVE this dinner."

So, as a result, I have decided to reformulate my food storage to include at least a year's supply of sprinkles.

12 comments:

lori said...

I suppose that just as a "spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down", a peppering of sprinkles would help the food go down. Very clever, Kira, very clever.

Kimberly said...

That is the most clever idea I have EVER seen!! I'm going to have to add that to my arsenal!

Lori said...

That is so funny! I don't think I would ever have thought of that. I might have to try it. Of course, I would have to put on the sprinkles, not one of my kids, or they would use half the bottle of sprinkles!

Janet said...

You are awesome! Thanks for the idea for later :) I tried to make cute faces out of food for their lunches today and I think they actually ate LESS than usual. Crazy kids!

Angela said...

that is awesome! I will have to remember that one. Right now I say "okay don't eat it" and leave it there until he is hungry enough to chow down. This could save me a lot of headaches. Keep up the good work!

Mary and Dean said...

That is so funny! I just might have to try that with Ethan. We too have that battle daily but only when it comes to dinner. The Joys of children. Can't wait to see you all at Christmas!

Tringali Family said...

I think we need sprinkles for Ella.

April said...

That is hilarious! Maybe I will try that with Addy.

TimothyandJessica said...

That's a great idea! Luckily mu kids aren't too picky, but I'm going to file this little trick in the back of my head and pull it out sometime when I need it.

Kellianne said...

You are awesome! Kenzie and I have almost the same dialogue almost every evening...I'll have to try that!

Andrea said...

That is awesome! I think I'll break out the sprinkles for tonight's dinner. Those dinner conversations are all too familiar.

Tracy Haws said...

I'm soooo going to try this, but I fear the result will be, "Mom, what are those dots? I don't yike dots. It's dirty."