Sunday, May 2, 2010

Babies on the Brain

I love this girl
I think she is going to make quite the wife/mother someday.
Now, everyone in this household is looking forward to the arrival of our newest addition in 5 or 6 weeks,
but NO ONE (not even me) can even come close to the same excitement level as this girl.
I'm not sure she thinks about much of anything else.

STORY ONE
On Wednesday, Brooklyn's teacher sent home a folder with a little note on it.
(Shame on me for not taking a picture)
The note went something like this:
"Brooklyn didn't get all of her seatwork done today.
She's been doing a lot of daydreaming lately.  :) "
Well, as any concerned mother would do, I asked Brooklyn about it.
I didn't want to upset her or anything, but I certainly wanted to take care of the problem.
I said to her, "Mrs. Tacata said you didn't get your work done at school today.  What were you thinking about?"
First she told me that she was staring at Gavin's paper because he was coloring it red where it was supposed to be blue.  Funny, since hers wasn't being colored at all...
But then, almost as an afterthought, she said, "And I was trying to think of a name for the baby."
I see...
We are having trouble coming up with a name for this baby, and poor Brooklyn can't stand it.  I think she approaches me at least 12 times a day with a new name suggestion.
She's working through her focus problem though - with the incentive of planting a flower garden (and maybe discussing baby names) with her Dad if she gets all of her work done.

STORY TWO
For Christmas my in laws gave me a National Geographic DVD called "In the Womb."
Call me weird, but I never tire of watching the whole baby development process.
Amazing.
Well, this afternoon Brooklyn was once again talking to the baby -
actually, she was giving the baby a list of possible names - asking her which she preferred.
Then she was pressing her ear to my stomach trying to hear a response.
All she got was a kick in the ear.
Which she loved.
After once again watching her fascination with the whole thing, I thought she might enjoy a sampling of
 "In The Womb."
Sure enough, she was completely enthralled.
Who doesn't like looking at little fetus' floating around?

Once we got to about 34 weeks (which is where I am at) she was so excited.  Of course, the video then started talking about it being time for the baby to come out so I conveniently skipped the section which would evoke more questions than I am prepared to answer right now.
We skipped right to
TA DA
Mother holding a newborn baby.
That was easy.  (Yes, this is me in my post-birth awesomeness - and that is wee little Brooklyn)
As we are watching the mother bond with her new baby, I hear something peculiar.
"*sniff*sniff*"
"Mom, I am happy, but that baby is so cute it makes me cry."
Watching her cry made me want to cry.
Someone please tell me that I am getting another little girl as sweet as the first one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For the record, I was cleaning the bathroom a few days after our "In The Womb" moment and found her in the livingroom watching it again.  She had climbed up and turned it on for herself.
Forget Cinderella - this is way more exciting.
But, have you ever tried explaining what a chromosome is to a 5 year old?

4 comments:

TimothyandJessica said...

Brooklyn is so sweet! Good luck coming up with the baby's name! :)

Angela said...

what a wonderful little girl! she will be such a wonderful little mommy!

April said...

That is adorable! What a sweetheart!

Heather said...

That is so sweet it made me want to cry! Little girls are wonderful and she is going to be a great big sister! My Ry was the same way and she is enthralled with baby shows. Elias is there too. I got an app for my phone and each week he pulls it up to see what the baby looks like right now and how big it is. Thank goodness it only looked like a baby dinosaur for a week...he was a little confused by that!!!!! LOL