Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Holiday Lessons: Part 1

Well, hello there.  I've almost recovered from a wild and fun holiday season. 
Every Christmas season that passes, this mother-of-four gleans a few valuable lessons.  I would like to chronicle these lessons in hope that I may keep you from learning a few things the hard way and/or make you feel better that you aren't the only one....  (I am not the only one....right?)
Ahem.
Sugar Cookies.
Delightful little piles of not-good-for-you but Oh so good stuff. 
Lots of frosting topped with Red Hots is my favorite.
Just in case you wanted to bring me some next year.

Here's how this activity went down at our house.
The Mother (that's me) ran out of time (surprise) and had to cheat and just buy the Pillsbury sugar cookie dough.  
And do you know what?
I'm glad I did.
Because most of these little people lasted only 10 minutes.
So there. 

The eldest child was a champion froster.  She did plenty of finger licking, but she was in it for the long haul which I appreciated because I had no need to frost 4 dozen cookies alone.

Jack could not keep that knife off of his tongue. 
I told him before and plenty times during this process NOT to LICK the KNIFE. 
But really, can you blame him?
It is quite tempting.

Bradley would ONLY use the yellow frosting. 
And for him, just a dab will do. 
He was also awarded the prize for the most consecutive dips in the frosting
with the top of the sprinkles container.
Hold it a little higher there, buddy.

I've just got two words for Aubrey.
HAIR. NET.
Forget the bib, this child needs something to contain that mane.
She did a fine job consuming all that we would allow,
and definitely should not have been standing up in her high chair.

As for the Father - he kept making that furrowed brow/disgusted face.
He was watching those kids and cookies very closely.
As if to memorize who frosted which cookie.
I guess he doesn't like kiddie germs/slobber on his cookies.

As a final piece of advice:
(you'll want to pay attention here)
Be careful where you decide to store your newly frosted cookies.
The oven sounded like a good idea.
Until I preheated it for something else.
At least Bradley didn't find them though!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I see your kids like to pile on the sprinkles too. I always feel like there is more sprinkles than cookies by the time they are done. Love the last photo. Classic moment.

Kellianne said...

Wow! You're a champ! What a good mom! Those are the days you love them...and you love to put them to bed. :)