I felt particularly festive this year.
We were spending our first Christmas at home
which seemed to light a new flame within me.
At the beginning of December,
I strapped my boots on and got prepared to have a wonderful and memorable Christmas.
Which we did.
BUT, there are certainly a few things that I will do differently next year.
When we got the tree out,
I realized that it looked kind of pathetic with only a few decorations and no garland.
No garland?
We can fix that.
We will have a lovely family moment where we sing Christmas carols, drink hot chocolate and enjoy one another's company while we string popcorn for our tree.
Riiiight.
This looks more like reality, right?
Mother stringing, pouting Jack, naked Aubrey, busy Father, missing Bradley,
and picture taking Brooklyn.
That could be some kind of Christmas carol of it's own, don't you think?
Needless to say, that wasn't exactly how I had envisioned it.
It didn't take me long to switch to Fruit Loops only.
Popcorn is kind of hard to string - no wonder the kids were prematurely quitting their post.
Well, after what felt like hours of stringing Fruit Loops,
our tree looked a bit more cheery.
Only to be repeatedly attacked.
We have our own little Hansel & Gretel at our house.
By the time this tree came down, we were missing the Fruit Loops on the whole bottom half.
Despite a fair amount of grumbling over the garland,
they all loved decorating the tree.
Or in Aubrey's case,
she loved decorating that ONE branch.
I just loved this picture that I caught of my girls hanging ornaments.
Once we prepared the house, the real fun began.
Now, I know this is a controversial topic,
but I am personally a HUGE fan.
I have been wanting one for a few years,
but struggled to dish out the $30. (Thanks grandma!)
Our elf's name is Roy.
And I am not sure who enjoyed the tradition more - the kids, or me?
One morning the kids came into the kitchen to find Roy flying through the air!
Brooklyn was beside herself with excitement.
She knew that Roy could fly.
And this proved it!
She ran upstairs to tell Jack.
(picture beyond giddy excitement)
Jack walked in the room,
stood there with one hand on his hip and said,
"I can see a string."
Then he sat down to eat his Cheerios.
Well Merry Christmas to you too, Jack.





2 comments:
I love your kids! They make me smile! Jenna asked for an elf on the shelf (4 days before Christmas when they were of course nowhere to be found) and got a rain check from Santa. So, our adventures will start next year. Fun fun!
I seriously don't get the controversy over Elf on a Shelf. I'm sorry if I appear to be an "over doer" Mom by adding a little more fun to the Christmas season for my kids, but please don't make me feel bad about your own insecurities as a mother! ...is what I wanted to say to some Mom's who sent me some rather heated messages about our elf. We love our elf Buzz, he's a part of the family now. :-)
Post a Comment