Monday, July 21, 2014

Lifeguard on Duty

So, I have this boy.
A boy who has only recently become a decent swimmer.
And by decent I mean that I trust him 98% of the time,
but there's still that 2% the scares me a little bit.
About a month ago we took a trip to Hume Lake with some friends.
The adults were sitting on shore passing around the Oreo's 
while all the kids were swimming.
Good times.
As is normal, I find myself counting heads every couple of minutes.
At one particular moment I am counting
 but can't find Bradley's head among the group.
In a brief moment of panic 
I find his little head bobbing out further than he was supposed to be.
(naughty boy)
So I go to the edge of the water and watch him swim.
Seriously, where is he going?
That's when I spot the tiny orange spec floating near him.
He grabs it, turns around to swim back and I start getting nervous.
He wasn't panicking yet, but I could see on his face that he wasn't going to make it all the way back. 
(For the record, all of this happened in a matter of a few seconds)
As Dave and I look at each other
(and do a quick round of Rock-Paper-Scissors)
our wicked awesome friend Ryan
[cue Baywatch theme song]
runs from his chair, rips off his shirt and goes to the rescue.
Thank goodness he's like 12 feet tall 
because he was able to reach Bradley in 1 stroke.
He lifts my little guy in the air and what does Bradley say?
He proudly holds up that Tampico lid, 
has the biggest grin on his face and yells, 
"I got it!"
Really?
Apparently he was unaware that he might sink to the 
deep, dark nasty lake bottom.
His only thought was that he must MUST rescue that lid.

For detail purposes, 
I must mention that Dave really wanted to be the one to go into that deliciously green water,
but he was far too busy flexing for me.
Priorities, you know.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Okay, I can't even begin to tell you how much I love the pictures in this post! You crack me up, Kira! And that whole experience is still an image I will forever hold in my head. (For good or bad, I'm not sure.)