Monday, April 11, 2011

OJ

We've got 2 orange trees in our backyard.
I love these trees, but we have a hard time keeping up with all the oranges.
There are just too many.
So, being the adventurous mother I am,
I decided that it would be a fun activity for the kids and I
to pick the rest of the oranges and make orange juice.
Fun, right?
I should have gotten a picture of us picking the oranges.
That was pretty much buckets of fun.
I was up on the ladder digging through branches full of spiders and thorns
while the kids directed me to the next orange.
I dropped the oranges down to them
doing my best to drop them into the bags they were holding open for me.
They really should have been wearing helmets.
In all, we harvested 24 oranges.


Well, what started out as a fun bonding activity

quickly turned into alot of WORK for me.
It takes a long time to peel and juice 24 oranges.
Then, those 24 oranges had the nerve to only produce 2 quarts of juice.
Seriously?
Seriously lame.
BUT, that was some super delish OJ.
Convincing, right?
Look, Bradley even has an orange juice drip running down his arm.
That's a sign of pure satisfaction from him.

But my friends, there is a moral to this story.
Actually, there are two.
You didn't know you'd be gleaning so much wisdom from one blog today.
Especially this blog.
But here it is.
Moral #1:  Bonding that involves spiders, scratches, stickiness,
and lots of work doesn't end up as fun as it originally sounded.
Moral #2:  A gallon of orange juice is totally worth $3.50.

2 comments:

Erynn said...

I need to show you my juicer. No peeling, you just cut it in half. I'll admit though, we usually only use it when Todd's around!

Sara said...

That is so cool! I want an orange tree! Nothing is better than some fresh orange juice!