Sunday, May 10, 2009

I want to be her friend

Brooklyn continues to amaze me. This girl absolutely has the kindest heart of anyone I know. She does anything and everything for her family, friends - anyone.


Here's a classic example.



The other day Brooklyn & Jack had some friends over for a picnic. I brought out the food and their friend (who shall remain nameless, but we adore) :) informed me that he didn't like skin on his apples.



"Well," I told him, "sorry, I don't peel apples so just eat down to the skin."



I went into the house to get my chair to join them. As I was walking back out I hear this,



"Hey Brooklyn - I don't like skin on my apples. Will you peel it off for me?"



"Sure!" she says.



And so she happily started peeling the skin off of his apples with her fingers.








Piece by piece. Apple slice after slice.




This kind of thing is not uncommon for this girl. She LOVES to serve, nurture, and take care of everyone around her. She will always give up a toy or do what she can to make people happy. She tells me all the time that it makes her feel so good to make people happy. She loves giving gifts (I have to watch her sometimes - she might give away my car), and she is genuinely concerned about others before herself. I couldn't help but think about this today - being Mother's Day. As a mother, I honestly think that if I could pick a trait for my child to be wonderful at, this would be it. I see no selfishness in her. She is a really good example and reminder to me of how I should and want to be. She is the absolute best friend, big sister, and daughter. Keep it up Brooklyn - you are quite a girl!
Small disclaimer - just in case you think she is perfect - her and Jack certainly have their moments. This is certainly not a sibling-fight-free home. Hmmm...that would be nice.

3 comments:

Janet said...

I wish we lived closer so I could be her friend too :o)

Stephanie Ryan said...

It okay Kira, you can name names. We all know it was.....Logan :)! He loves Brooklyn, maybe that's why!

Paul and Robyn Fox Family said...

wow! Gus is the exact opposite. He hates giving gifts because he wants them. He never wants anyone else to win or be better than him at anything, and he usually doesn't care if he makes other kids sad. Maybe one of my kids will inherit Brooklyn's kindheartedness. I am sure Jack is not always that way though is he?