Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day at Dinkey Creek

There are a few of the "finer things" in life that we have withheld from our children. One of those has been camping. It's sad, but our children have never been. What kind of parents are we? Well, we no longer have to worry about child neglect because we took the long weekend and travelled to the mountains for some camping at Dinky Creek.
Here are the kids at their first campfire...right after they broke the tent pole...which made us super happy



And what would camping be without SMORES??



Here we are taking a hike to the creek.




The kids playing in the creek.


Brooklyn, Jack, and Grammy demonstrating a highly effective sock drying method.


And what did Bradley do the whole time?


Need a closer look?



*Note to self* Do NOT take a crawling baby camping...Do you think he will ever come clean?

I think everyone had a great time! Thanks to Grammy and Gramps for coming to join us!





I'll spare the pictures of the barf all over Jack's church clothes...that was super exciting...I'm sure glad that I blessed the boy with the joy of motion sickness...

I'll also spare the picture of Dave and I on/in our deflating air mattress. Just picture us as a hot dog in a bun...super comfy. Did I mention that I am NOT a snuggly sleeper?

I do wish I had the picture of Jack during a beautiful teaching moment. He kept kicking up dust which was really enjoyable for the rest of us. After millions of requests to stop kicking the dirt around he, while sitting in his little camping chair, kicked a large amount of dirt right into his own face. I must say that it was pretty funny. I think the dirt was caked on there about 4 inches thick. He didn't have as much trouble with the dirt after that...

Does anyone want to see the pile of laundry I have after this activity? I don't think that campfire smell will ever leave.


I think we'll do this again...next year. :)

6 comments:

Janet said...

You are a brave soul! Matt keeps talking about taking our kids camping and I keep changing the subject so he'll forget. It sounded like you made plenty of unforgettable memories though! p.s. we're moving back to greeley...I'll email you with the details.

Kristy Skoy said...

It looks like you had a lot of fun! I want to take my kids but Mike refuses to sleep in a tent. A bear will eat him! That is no fun with a crawling baby!

Angela said...

It all sounds awesome! Even the dirty kids! and the smoke smell will leave...about the time you are ready to go again.

lori said...

My family used to go camping to Dinkey Creek every summer. It was fun as a child, then I reached a point where I preferred showers over camping.

Chelsea Ellingson said...

We took the kids camping last summer, and had about the same experience as you, minus the barf and the deflated matress...and the dirt in the face...okay, so it wasn't about the same as yours, but you know. Linus was crawling then too and I tried to keep him in contained areas where he wouldn't eat dirt and kept a bag of wet wipes on me at all times to keep every speck off him...and then I had a screaming, screaming, SCREAMING kid, so I let down my gaurd and said, "Okay, as long as it's only once a year, you can eat dirt". He looked just as filthy as Bradley!

Heidi Henderson said...

Camping is the best! Glad you were able to go! Next time bring a play pin for Bradley :) Trust me though, the kids will remember the fun times! And even though it's a lot of work, it's family time that is the best!!!