Monday, August 30, 2010

The Birth (finally)

So I am sure that there are many of you out there who have hardly been able to sleep due to anticipation of Aubrey's birth story.  What is it about a birth story that is so compelling?  (for me, at least)
And please don't judge me for the contents of this story.  I forgot to post it until now, but it was written during the unstable hormone, sleep deprived days following Aubrey's birth.
Therefore, I am hardly responsible for the contents of this message.
Oh, and it's really loooong...

Preface:  About 8 weeks before Aubrey was due Dave got a new job.  New job=new insurance
New insurance that doesn't take effect for 4 weeks.  Not only that, but I had to find a new doctor.  Apparently, most doctors don't want patients that are just about to deliver.  Everyone I called said that I was too far along.  FINALLY, I found a doctor that would take me (and induce a week early - yahoo!)Unfortunately for anyone reading this, I didn't have a super dynamic, painful sounding delivery.  Very routine and maybe a boring read.  But, boring or not, I revel in the extreme sport of life giving and therefore enjoy re-living my moment of glory.
When Friday came I was pumped and ready to go.  I LOVE the whole experience.  I love the thrill, the anticipation, the excitement - and most of all, the BABY!  (Although I don't so much like trying to put myself back together afterwards...)
At 9 am on Friday, June 4th, I went in around 9:00 am and they hooked me up with the "juice" to get things moving.  I made slow an steady progress but wasn't in much pain so I was able to walk around, surf the net, and watch all sorts of strange daytime TV with Dave.  Around 3:00 they checked me to find that I was at a 5 (and had been for most of the day).  I was now starting to feel pretty uncomfortable so I asked the nurse what the Anesthesiologists schedule was like.  (I learned my lesson after Brooklyn - I always want to know the schedule)  She said that he was going into a C-section in 10 minutes.  So I could have the epidural now, or it would be another hour.  HELLO - give it to me now.  So the chipper little gentleman came in and took care of business.  awesome.  From that point on I was sooo relaxed and comfy.  I felt like I had just gotten out of a spa.  You know, you feel all warm and sleepy and totally content.  (Is that cheating?)  Yes, that was me.  (And I don't care if anyone thinks it's cheating - I thought it was AWESOME!) 
I thought that I would deliver by 5 pm for sure since all of my other deliveries had only taken 6-7 hours.  But, by 5:00 - I was still only at a 5.  In fact, I was a 5 until 9 pm when another doctor came in and said that Dr. Thomas couldn't get away and asked that she break my water. (finally!)  So, she broke it at 9 and the nurse told me to let her know when I started to feel any pressure.  Well, I laid there for about 10 minutes and then started thinking, "Gee, I sure feel a lot of pressure.  But it can't be the baby already - I'm only dilated 5 cm."  I asked the nurse to check, even though I was worried I was wrong.  I believe her words were, "Whoa - hold that kid in there - let me call the doctor."
Unfortunately, he was about 15 minutes away so I had to endure the uncomfortable feeling of being the lid on a shaken bottle of soda.  Not so much fun.  Although secretly I was LOVING the whole thing.  Really, I could do that 50 more times.
Dr. T arrived, gloved up, I pushed through 1 contraction, and out she came.  Dr. T called her the "scrawny baby" because she didn't turn out to be the giant I was afraid I was having.
They wiped off some of the slime and then handed her right to me for a little Kangaroo-Kare.  Dave was noticeably grossed out at the thought of putting that slimy little thing on my bare skin, but I was lovin' it!

After about an hour of cuddling with my babe, I handed her over for the big moment.
My teenie-weenie-beanie
6lbs 13 oz
19 3/4 inches
13.2 inch head circumference
After I was all put back together n' stuff - they moved me to recovery where I was sharing a room - boo.
My favorite was that my nurse kept coming in to my room like she had nothing to do.  At one point she told me that all of her patients at the moment had just had either their 4th or 5th baby.  So I'm pretty sure none of us were filling out that little potty/poo/feeding time chart.
The hospital stay was fine (nothing compared to the hospital in Greeley!), but I am not overly fond of staying longer than I need to.  So I delivered at 9:50pm and went home at 3:00 the next day. 
As my grandma said it, I went through the Baby Drive-thru!

3 comments:

lori said...

I'm with you, epidural all the way! Who wants to be more tired or in more pain than they have to be. Very cute results, by the way.

Rayce & Candi said...

I love reading peoples birth stories. (don't know why, just like to know, i guess) I hate being enduced, but hey, at least you can plan on something after 9 months of guessing. Your family is beautiful! And I can't believe how much hair your little gal has, my babies come out looking like cue balls!!!!
Congrats on your beautiful family.

Janet said...

Thanks for posting this. I love a birth story, too! I'm with you about the Greeley hospital. The only bright spot about being back here is getting to deliver in that hospital again :) Warm cookies and massages!!