Sunday, August 8, 2010

Growing Up

Ladies - (and gentlemen?)
I'm having a rough day.  All summer I have been struggling with the idea of sending Brooklyn to school all day.  I mean, to my surprise I didn't cry when I dropped her off at preschool or Kindergarten, but I'm feeling very hesitant about the idea of sending her to 1st grade.  Tonight we took a walk to the school just to walk around campus and find her and Jack's classrooms.  We stood outside Room #6 and I thought about the idea of someone else spending more awake time with her that I will.  Call me pathetic, but I'm not ready to give her up.  And then of course we walked over to the preschool classroom and told Jack all about everything he would do and how much he would love going to school.  (He needs some convincing.)  Then another thought hit me.  Something to do with the fact that I feel like a little phase in life has officially passed.  I'm going to have 2 kids in school.  I'm pretty sure that makes me feel...I'm not really sure.  Not really old, but definitely not young.  I mean we are no longer the young couple with the one little baby in our lap.  We have school age kids that we haul around in our minivan, we (ok, I) have to do a full load of laundry everyday just to keep up, we go through multiple loaves of bread and several gallons of milk every week.  We have bikes with no training wheels, lots of outgrown clothes, and now our first visit from the tooth fairy.  Time is definitely moving.  And quite possibly at a rate I am not prepared for.

Good grief - I sound like they all just left for college.  ha ha ha  I think I'll get used to my "new" life, but change that gives others more influence on my wee babes and gives me less time with them gives me a little heartache.  But just a little one because after all, I do eventually want to have grown, mature, independent children.  someday.  later.  But for now, I just want to bottle them up.  I love these little people.  Really, there's no better job than mine.

Don't my babies have adorable...foreheads?  Next time we attempt a "rockin' the shades" self portrait, remind me to aim the camera a little lower - and to tell Brooklyn not to sniff my ear. 

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness Kira...you are hilarious!! You know, I am not married and I don't have kids, but this is totally true!! Time flies by, but we just have to make the best of it. Your kids are really cute & I know you are probably the best Mom ever!!

Kerri said...

Tell me about time flying. Jalissa graduated and no more kids in school. Wow I'm going to have to find me a hobby or something.

lori said...

I hate to say this, but it just seems to go by faster every year. I can completely relate to the "sending your child to 1st grade" thing. It's hard to think of them being there for so long. It might be a challenge at first, but it does get easier for them.

Chelsea Ellingson said...

Even though they will be spending more time at school, you will still have a greater influence for good in their lives than any of those teachers or peers or anyone. But I have to admit I felt a little of preminatory heartache for when my kids go when I put myself in your shoes and thought about Chloe going to school in a few years. Little ouchie. :-) Good thing God hands out band-aids now and again...

Sara said...

Kira- I know exactly how you feel. Tyson went to 1st grade last year. I did really good driving him there and dropping him off the part that got me was when he didnt even tell me good-bye and ran to find his friends he had made the year before! I cryed all the way home. So I wish you good luck! And I hope I can make it through 2 kids in school this year too! And I have to tell you your post are so cute!

Andrea said...

Ah, that's exactly how I feel. Jaci starts ALL DAY Kindergarten tomorrow and I know I'll cry. That is just so long for them to be away from home every single day. I'm not ready to enter that stage of our lives yet. Good luck to both of us! :)