Thursday, August 26, 2010

Little Red Hen

I've been so concerned about my children growing up too quickly that I didn't realize that I am having the stirrings of growing up myself.  And this my friends, is where I need you.
Let's get one thing straight first.
I don't like to cook.
I do it out of sheer necessity.
Period.
BUT, I do love to save money - and will do almost anything - including cook - to do so.
So, I am wondering if anyone out there bakes their own bread.
You know, like everyday?...
I'd especially like to hear from someone who prefers to "cheat" and use a bread maker, because let's be honest, anything with too many variables and opportunities to be messed up, will be messed up by me.
That's just how I roll.
I need all the advice, tips, and encouragement that I can get.
I'm considering going all out - like buying the wheat for cheap - grinding it up and baking it.
Kind of like the Little Red Hen.
Just look at that beautiful loaf.
That. could. be. me.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

Dear Kira~

I think you are just wonderful. I also think this bread recipe is wonderful. I got it from Betty Crocker, so you know it has to be good, right?

In lou (ya know, instead of-) of all the flour, I have been gradually mixing ground wheat in. I am up to three cups, and it is tasty! There's only like five ingredients, and I only end up kneading for like five minutes till it's ready for baking.

So easy, you can't mess it up. If we ate it enough, I really would make it every day!

Good luck with your endeavors!!

~Jenny

Jenny said...

Ooops! Here is the link!

http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/gold-medal-classic-white-bread/20967ff8-467c-4445-99b4-b3a97a554dd2

Kira said...

Oooo...thank you Jenny! I will definitely be trying that one out. I too am planning on going whole wheat. I'll let you know how it goes! :)

Lori said...

I definitely don't make bread every day, but when I do, I use this recipe in my bread maker. I got the recipe from Mandi Adams. Everyone seems to really like it, especially while it's still warm.

1 1/2 c. warm water
2 T Honey or Molasses
2 T oil
1/2 egg (beaten) (I usually just use a whole egg. It's easier.)
1 1/2 t salt
3 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
4 T. gluten (buy it in the baking section at any grocery store)
1 1/2 t yeast

Add ingredients to bread maker in the order listed and set the bread maker to whole wheat. A few hours later, voila! Yummy homemade bread!

Chelsea Ellingson said...

I have a really good recipe, but it will take too long to type out in this comment- if you email me I can email you back the recipe and directions- it's easy and it's what I use, and it makes 4 big loaves at a time, so I freeze the extra and use it as we need it throughout the week. :-) Here's my email if you're interested: chee_mar@yahoo.com.

Angela said...

growing up my mom would make break often and she always timed it so perfectly that there was a loaf just coming out of the oven as we came home from school...pretty sure it kept me young and innocent longer :)

If you do decide to start making bread daily...please let me know and I will move next door!

Kira said...

Done! Angela - we are totally going to be neighbors! :)

Janet said...

I have a recipe that has 6 ingredients and allows you to make 4 loaves in an hour! It's fabulous. I even have a big bucket of wheat next on my counter and grind it right before I make it. You can use this recipe to make over 50 different things: cinnamon rolls, hamburger buns, garlic sticks, pizza, etc. the website is pantrysecrets.net and here's the recipe:

10 1/2 c. of white flour or white wheat flour (red wheat has a different recipe...you have to mess with applesauce and stuff)

1 T salt
3 T instant yeast (or rapid rise)
3 T Liquid lecithin (can find at any health food store...don't measure this in a spoon, just eyeball it)
4 C. hot water (I always add a little more to make it a little softer)

mix for 7-8 min. do not add any more flour after mixed. Use Pam on the counter surface and on your hands instead of flour. Cut into 4 pieces, shape into loaves, put in pans. Let rise for 25 min. Cook for 25 min at 350. Viola! These loaves freeze really well also. Be advised, though, that a lowly kitchenaid (like the one I have) will only do 2 loaves at a time so you have to half the recipe. A bosch can do the whole thing. It's on my christmas list. The ladies who developed this recipe did the math and figured out that it's 29 cents a loaf to do it this way! It's made it so easy to be the Little Red Hen :)

Janet said...

Whoops! Forgot to add:

1/2 c. sugar to the recipe

That'll make a difference :)

Kira said...

29 cents!!! Wahoo! This is the week my friends! I am going to do it!!