Monday, May 16, 2011

Lying

I've got a little problem at my house.
Actually, make that two.
Problem A: Lying
Problem B: "bathroom laziness"
Combine those two?
Oy.
I do have to give Jack a little credit though - he is very entertaining with his cleverly fabricated stories.
I mean I've heard all the little ones like,
"No Mom, I didn't push Bradley - he just ran into the wall himself."
Or, "Uh, yes Mother, of course I put my laundry in the drawer."
But today he really thought up a goody.
He came in from the backyard with wet pants (again...sigh).
Before I even noticed he said,
"Mom, um, today at school (3 hours earlier) the teachers turned on the water and my pants got wet."
[Insert lifted eyebrow from Mother (me).]
"And Mom, their water smells like pee."
What's a mother to say to that?
Gosh he's funny.

So what do you mothers do to turn the tides on those little white lies?

5 comments:

lori said...

Ooo, how do you come up with something after such a clever and funny little white lie?

Leanne said...

Just do what I do and never believe your kids even when they say they are going to throw up. Take them to church anyway and make them go to their class and wait for them to throw up in their class before believing them. *sigh*

The Yarbrough Clan said...

Olivia was told to clean her toys in the toy room. She came in and told Jeff she was finished... so he told her to clean up another area. She then went back to the toy room and said she needed to clean those. He said he thought she had already cleaned them. Olivia then said "I lied".

When you figure out how to stop it, let us know! Miss you guys!

Janet said...

I get "developmental" emails every other week or so that correlates with their ages. The one I read about lying says that they are not deliberately trying to deceive but they are just expressing their creativity and increasing their imagination. I laughed out loud and then began pondering if the person that wrote that ever actually had children! Best of luck...just keep blogging them so we can laugh/cry/sigh along with you!

Julie said...

That story combined with his picture with that perfect look on his face really did make me laugh. It reminds me so much of Evan (he currently suffers from the same two problems)! Today he called to me from upstairs, "Mom, this radio just broke itself!" Yep, it just ripped the antenna right off itself. Kids are so funny!