Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Christmas Cards, anyone?

A small miracle occurred in our home this year.
I sent out Christmas cards.
I am going to go ahead and give myself a high five for that one.
Because that sort of thing makes me feel like a rock star.
(And it definitely does not happen every year.)
My only problem is that I highly under estimated our Christmas card needs.
Apparently when you have two large families,
50 cards don't really go very far.
So, for those of you that didn't get one delivered to your mailbox,
we still love you.
And...you didn't send us one either,
so I guess we're even.  :)
But you should send us one.
Like, right now.
And if you do, I just might have one last card sitting on my desk waiting for you.
(The 12 stamps will not be included)

Bradley helped out with getting the cards in the mail.
The little poo.
It's a good thing that card is all gloss-ay.
Otherwise I would have to take approximately $5.40 out of his inheritance.
Plus interest.
We had to have a 2 minute discussion about how those are not stickers.
Which made no sense because 
they actually are stickers.
Very expensive stickers.
Very expensive stickers that now live on a high shelf 
so that they don't end up living up Bradley's nose, in Aubrey's hair or stuck to my backside.
Anyway, for those interested,
I will also include my long-winded Christmas letter.

Merry Christmas family and friends.  We hope that you have been blessed with a wonderful 2012.  We have been keeping busy chasing after our little people.  We moved to Visalia, CA due to a job transfer last fall and have enjoyed having our own home and all that comes with it.  We were warmly welcomed and have made so many great friends here.
Aubrey is two and a half and thoroughly enjoys all the attention of being the baby.  She's a tiny little thing but her little body does seem to be able to contain her blossoming personality.  Her terrible two's were a little behind schedule, making me think that I was going to luck out this time, but, alas, they have arrived.  So we do our best not to let her completely run the roost.  She's quite a Mama's girl and is currently rebelling against wearing clothes.  Or anything for that matter.
Bradley is 4 and is the family ninja.  We have had more mischief come out of that boy than all of our other children combined.  One of these days he will probably disassemble our entire house without making a single sound.  We won't even know what hit us.  We love him anyway and I particularly love his sweet, quiet  demeanor and raspy little voice.  He started preschool this year which has really helped him in many ways.  He's a man of very few words, but is very thoughtful and likes to think things through before he tries something new.
Jack is a 6 year old boy with the mind of a 26 year old.  He wants to know the long term reason of why he must do even the simplest things.  He is motivated to action by hearing that his chores are to teach him to work because the best girls won't want to marry lazy boys and that homework will help him get into college to get a good job to support his family.  We aren't really sure where he came from, but we try our best not to be persuaded or out-smarted by his little brain.  He is in first grade this year and loves math.  He also had his first experience playing soccer where he played with plenty of aggression...often stealing the ball from his own teammates.  Oh, and he got his first suit this year, because according to him, the best boys dress just like the prophet.  I think we've convinced him that he only needs to wear it on Sunday.
Brooklyn turned 8 this year and was so excited to be baptized.  She had lots of family members and friends who travelled great distances to come be with her on her special day.  She continues to be an absolute sweetheart and a great help to Dave and I.  Although she has caused a few gray hairs by her inability to stop talking.  Really.  She doesn't stop.  I have no idea what she finds to talk about, but the motor never stops running.  I am still twitching from sitting near her on our most recent road trip.  She is in 3rd grade this year and gets very high marks for being extremely kind and helpful to the other kids in her class.  She also played soccer this year and is taking piano lessons. 
Dave is still working for the VA and really enjoys the vets he serves.  He has been busy this year getting our garden going, planting fruit trees in our yard, church callings, soccer games, kids in general, and helping me (or trying to talk me out of) all of my projects.  
I have just been enjoying life and the stage we are at right now.  Our kids are so fun and really bring me a lot of joy.  I currently perform a lot of traffic control with the neighborhood kids who seem to be trying to move in.  And any spare time I do have, I have been using to do lots of projects  around the house.  I tell Dave that I wish I had been a carpenter in another life so that I could do the projects that I really want to do.  Something about saws and walls coming down seemed to frighten him a little. 
We just celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary and feel so very thankful for the life we share.  We have been very blessed with a wonderful family, good health and of course, the gospel.   These things bring us the fullest of joy.  We hope that this finds you happy and healthy and that 2013 will be a blessed year.
                                                Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
                                                                        Love,
                                                                                    The Bowen's

1 comment:

Mary and Dean said...

Ooh I feel so special that I did get one. Dean and I laughed so hard on the Brookelyn section. My friend was talking about how she hates those "brag letters" I made her read your and she too agreed it was so worth reading. LOve you guys and hope to set to see you guys soon. Ethan has been asking about Jack a lot so a trip from the Ludwigs just may be in your future.