Friday, February 4, 2011

That'll be $8.25, Mam.

I'm thinking that Jack and the public library don't mix.
A visit about 2 years ago resulted in me (8 months pregnant)
running across the library with Jack in my arms bleeding and crying.
He ended up with 2 stitches in his forehead. 
I told him at least 3,000 times not to run in the library...
After that, most attempts at library storytime left me frustrated
watching the other kids listen and sing,
while Jack insisted on figuring out how the miniature computer worked.

Most recently though I bravely took all 4 monsters to collect a few new bedtime stories.
(You can only read the same books so many times, you know)
My 10 minute experience sounded something like this,
"Bradley get back here." 
"Yes Brooklyn, you can get that book." 
"Bradley get down." 
"Do you want this one Jack?" 
"Where's Bradley?" 
"Quiet down, guys." 
"Don't touch that Bradley." 
"That one is way too long." 
"No running Bradley." 
"You can each pick 1 more."
"Bradley?"
"Whew - let's get out of here."
It felt kinda like an 8 mile run.
Not that I would know.
Anyway, I left that place with some pretty exciting reading material.
Like, "Citrus Growing in California"
I was pretty excited about the idea of Dave reading that book.
But Jack apparently felt differently.
Look at that frown.
Obviously Jack has no love for agricultural publications.
Ya, well, I have no love for paying for library materials
that have been defaced by my children.

2 comments:

Chelsea Ellingson said...

Ha ha- WOW, that sounds SO familiar. Last semester, Craig asked me one day when I got home early from school if I could take the kids to the library and look up a few books from a list that he had so he could choose one to read for one of his classes. SURE! Fun trip to the library with all the kids, right? It ended with a very nice worker at the library finding just ONE of the books for me, checking it out for me, and being polite enough to bring it to the car for me so I could get out of there as soon as possible. Aside from the damage that was incurred to the board books and toys in the children's section, Linus also successfully stunk up that entire half of the library when he pooped his diaper within the first five minutes we were there ("quick" trip to the library means I didn't bring the diaper bag with me). The day ended when I shoved the book at Craig and insisted he get his own books next time. :-)

Janet said...

ROFL!!! You slay me! My low moments at the library are when I say "no you can't have that one, it has too many words"....stellar parenting right there. Way to go for even braving the dreaded library.